NHS Health Checks
We know that the risk of developing cardiovascular disease (CVD), which includes heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and kidney disease, increases with age. The good news is, these conditions can often be prevented.
If you are aged 40-74 years and do not already have CVD you are most likely eligible for a free NHS Health Check.
You can get your NHS Health Check at most GP surgeries, as well as many high street pharmacies (chemists). If you are registered with a GP surgery that does not provide this service or you are not registered with a GP, you can access your NHS Health Check at one of the many pharmacies offering this service.
During your check, you will be offered (as appropriate):
- A calculation of your risk of developing CVD in the next ten years.
- Advice and information to help you reduce or manage your risk of developing CVD.
- Signposting or referral to services that can help to reduce or manage your risk of developing CVD.
- Referral to your GP for management of your CVD risk.
- Referral to your GP for further testing or assessment.
Your NHS Health Check will be carried out by trained clinical staff and will take up to thirty minutes.
When arranging your NHS Health Check appointment you may be asked to arrange a separate time for your blood test to be carried out.
Having your free NHS Health Check will help you to be better prepared for the future. By identifying risks early and taking steps to reduce them, you can improve your chance of maintaining or improving your health as you get older.
NHS Health Check is a national programme – find out more on the NHS website.